Physical EducationMay 30, 2023 2023-05-30 12:37
At HPS we recognize that sports are an essential part of a well- rounded education. understand how critical sports is as it:
- encourages healthy habits; learners who get daily exercise are healthier
- reduces stress
- encourages prosocial behavior
- promotes good sleep
- helps students concentrate
- raises individual performance levels across a range of sports and allows us celebrate their achievements
- provides extra-curricular opportunities for all abilities through clubs, fixtures and inter-house activities
Key Stage 3
Students in Years 7, 8 and 9 experience a broad and balanced curriculum. We aim to raise our students’ individual performance levels, providing opportunity for personal success. We encourage all pupils to be involved in extra-curricular activities and support individual flair. Many fixtures are played during the course of the year; competition in the area is strong and our teams confidently participate in the competitive arena. Our main school sports include; Athletics, Badminton, Football, Table-Tennis, Swimming and Volleyball.
Key Stage 4
IGCSE P.E is a two-year course taught in Year 10 and 11, following the 9-1 Cambridge specification. The theory content covers topics such as, Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology, Movement Analysis, Sociology, Training and Diet. students are assessed in three practical activities, one of which must be a team game whilst one must be an individual sport. The practical component accounts for 40% of the course with the two 75-minute examination papers making up the remaining 60%.
Educational visits and extra-curricular activity
We recognise the benefit of sports tours. We will be attending a number of local as well as international competitions such as the World school games, swimming and football leagues. Also, our sporting content will support the Duke of Edinburgh Awards.
Rooms and resources
Our sports facility includes fully equipped locker rooms, teaching rooms, swimming pool, floodlit all-weather pitch for football matches; basketball and volley ball and lawn tennis court. We feature other indoor sports as well as numerous activities throughout the academic year as extra-curricular activities.